Friday, June 19, 2009

Black Bean Dip with Homemade Tortilla Chips


A few months ago, I made this recipe for simmered black beans from the New York Times. They were fantastic (and I realized that it really is worth the effort to use dried beans as opposed to canned), but the recipe made such a big batch that I had to freeze most of them. I came up with this black bean dip to take to work for a snack this week to use the leftovers. I also made some homemade baked tortilla chips. They were super easy to make, and SO much better than store bought.

The dip would almost as well if you used canned black beans, but I think you would need to add some sort of liquid to thin it out a little bit because the black beans that I defrosted had some sauce that they simmered in.

Black Bean Dip

½ red onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 ½ c. black beans
2 tbsp. hot sauce (I think the Cholula brand gives it the best flavor)
½ tsp. cumin
½ c. light sour cream
Fresh cilantro (small handful)
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Sauté the onion and garlic in a little bit of oil until tender.
2. Place the onion, garlic, beans, hot sauce, cumin, sour cream, and cilantro into a food processer. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Baked Tortilla Chips

Small corn tortillas (however many you want)
Olive oil
Course salt

1. Cut each tortilla into six wedges.
2. Spread the wedges out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Brush on both sides with olive oil and season with salt.
3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

No comments: