Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Restaurants: Toro Sushi

A post about my favorite sushi restaurant (and maybe overall restaurant) in Chicago is long overdue. Toro is a tiny BYOB in Lincoln Park that may not look like much, but I don’t think you can get better sushi for your money. I went about once a week when I was living in Chicago, even braving the sometimes 2 hour wait.

A few tips -
  • Get there early and prepare to wait. They will turn people away when the waiting list has gotten too long. Don’t take your chances: get there early, leave your phone number, and wait at a bar nearby.

  • Sit at the sushi bar. It’s a little cramped, but Mitch (the chef/owner) will usually pass out some of his favorites to try. Don’t be alarmed if he gives you a fist pump.

  • Get the salmon nigiri! It’s the best…ever.
My friend Katie and I went last week and got some of our favorites:

Hot Finger Roll Appetizer – deep fried spicy salmon roll



“O” Roll – super white tuna, wasabi tobiko, spicy tuna, and avocado



Alaskan Roll – salmon and avocado



Mackerel Nigiri, Salmon Nigiri, Hamachi Sashimi, Tuna Sashimi



Deep Fried Green Tea Ice Cream


Toro Sushi on Urbanspoon

No comments: