Thursday, August 18, 2011

Restaurants: Firebird Cafe


My 3 month stint working in Burlington, VT was made totally worth it when I discovered Firebird Café. Lunch at this bright little sandwich shop always makes my day.


The owner is always there, cooking and taking orders. The menu consists mostly of sandwiches and breakfast items, some with a Mexican flair. Everything is fresh, made to order, and the sauces seem to all mostly be made in house. There are usually only a couple of others working in the open kitchen, all very friendly. Even though it’s an order at the counter and take your number kind of place, someone always carries your food to your table and comes around to make sure everything is good.

Matt drove up to spend a few days in Burlington this week, so we met up at Firebird for lunch.


I usually get their iced green tea to drink, which is always delicious and refreshing.


Matt ordered the Supremo Burrito, which has eggs, red chipotle sauce, avocado, sour cream, and salsa. It came with a side of pico de gallo and home fries. It was simple, fresh, and flat out good.


They give you the option to get any sandwich as a wrap or a Panini. I usually choose wrap, but I switched it up today and got the Orchard Panini. It had smoked ham, brie, granny smith apples, and honey mustard. It was a simple combination of excellent ingredients. I particularly liked that the brie got perfectly creamy but the apples stayed crisp.


I snapped a not great picture on a different occasion of one of my favorite wraps on the menu. The Apollo has marinated and grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, cilantro, avocado, and chipotle mayo. Yum.

As you can tell, I love coming here. I would love to eventually own a place just like it!

Firebird Cafe
163 Pearl Street
Essex Junction, VT 05452
Firebird Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Jan Morse said...

One of my very favorite places ti chow down, too! And I live a mere 5 minutes away.

Colleen said...

I'm jealous you live so close!